Monday, November 19, 2012

Famous Landmark or Transportation Stencil Critique



1. While in the lab, I went into Photoshop and pasted in the picture I was going to use for the stencil. The composition consisted of a good balance of positive and negative space. Also, while in Photoshop, I activated the threshold in order to make creating a stencil from the picture possible.

2. The stencil I made is a Korean popstar, so when I was choosing the background, I didn't want things that were totally not related. I chose to stick with nice scenery pictures (Gardens, Mountains, etc) as well as a good balance/contrast of colors (Green, Pink, Blue, Black). I tried to refrain from anything too old fashioned looking as well as pictures of people that didn't have any relation to Korean popstars at all.

3. By utilizing the threshold in photoshop, I was able to identify the negative and positive space in my photo. I chose to cut out the negative space, which in this case was the white.

4. When using the xacto knife, you had to move slowly, and be careful not to yank the knife really hard and cut yourself. It was a bit aggrivating having to move so slow, but better safe than sorry.

5. When doing the spray paint, I chose to go with simple black and white. At first, I did the stencil with only black, but the collage made it hard to see the facial features, so I went back and spray painted some white over the face. Then, I spray painted black over the stencil again, and it came out perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment